Saturday, January 30, 2010

Garbage find

One night, a while back, I was taking out the garbage and stumbled upon this:



A Steve Bauer "Samiel" road bike frame, sans wheels. I brought it inside and stripped what I could off of it. As soon as I found it, I thought "right on! A winter project." The first (and only) thing that crossed my mind was a fixed gear conversion. A perfect fit, too. 56cm center to center top tube and seat tube. Well, two months have passed, and I haven't even touched the frame. It requires a bit of work...there are a lot of little rust patches...nothing serious, but just lots of them. The thought of sanding, more sanding, even more sanding, priming and painting doesn't really appeal to me right now.

"samiel" - a violent hot sand-laden wind on the deserts of Arabia and North Africa

 "some" rust spots

Then I got thinking; when would I actually use the bike? My current fixie is used only for commuting to work, and for running the odd errand. When I look at the riding that I currently do, another fixie probably wouldn't get much, if any use at all. So, what to do with the frame? Considering that I originally wanted to pimp out the bike with expensive, blingy, matching parts, it's not gonna be a cost-effective endeavour. On top of that, all the bike funds that I have right now need to go towards parts for my other bikes, as well as race entry fees, gas for getting to races etc. And because I haven't touched the bike yet, I obviously don't have the time to put into it. What to do, what to do? Well, for anyone out there reading this, who wants a project, I'm offering you this frame. First come, first serve.

 
If you want a bike project, here you go. If you wanna finish my basement for me, come on over!

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, a little small, but I might be interested in setting up a fixie. I've got a line on some parts from my brother's fixie that he just upgraded using all the parts off my old road bike. It would be a strange circle is now complete sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, if you want it, it's all yours!

    ReplyDelete