Sunday, January 3, 2010

A run, and some beer.

Yesterday I did something I haven't done in a loooooong time. That was go for a run. Now, I'm not even remotely close to  what you would call a runner. The only time I ever really do any running is in the winter, and that's only because I can't bike as much as I'd like to prevent myself from feeling like an inactive bum. BUT, there are some good things about winter running:

-you get a good workout in a short period of time
-even if it's minus 15 out, you can still warm up pretty quickly
-it's kind of fun...jumping over snow banks, dodging ice and puddles, dashing through the snow, on a one horse open sleigh....
-gives my bones a good pounding...I'm afraid of developing brittle bones since biking isn't a weight bearing exercsie
-it's easy on the joints, especially when there's snow underfoot
-it can be pretty tough at times, especially when there's a decent amount of snow of the ground (kind of like running in sand)

So I got out for a 35 minute run of 5 minutes of running, followed by 1 minute of walking. By the time I got back home, I felt like "Damn! I've just worked out good!" 35 minutes might not sound like much, but trust me, I felt it today. Sore quads, hip flexors and tibialis muscles . Because of that, my planned 60 minutes on the trainer today turned into 30 minutes on the rollers. At least I feel like I'll be able to ride the rollers and drink coffee at the same time pretty soon.



As for some beer, I picked up a 6 pack of Creemore Springs urBock. If you click on the link, you get a good description of what an "urBock" is. I was initially intrigued by the packaging, stating that it's a limited release. It's a pretty dark beer, and also a little higher on the alcohol content...6%. Nevertheless, it packs quite a flavour punch, but has a bitter finish that lingers. I found it went well with some cheese to balance out the bitterness. Unfortunately, it didn't give me a feeling that I was part of the "noble class", for which this beer was traditionally reserved for according to the website. If you like beer with a hoppy/bitter finish, pick this up before it's all gone...until next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment