Monday, April 19, 2010

Canadians represent!

I originally started this post re-capping my weekend of riding...not too exciting. But when I was checking out results on cyclingnews.com, I decided to change the topic of my blabbing to point out some notable Canadian (and even local) performances from the past weekend.

The most notable performance definitely has to be Ryder Hesjedal's second place finish at the Amstel Gold Race. 259km of racing, and out of 1st by 2 seconds (actually a large margin, considering that most of the time these races end in a group sprint). It's just downright amazing to see a Canadian place that high in one the pro spring classics.

Last weekend, we heard about the Tall Tree Team competing in the Tour of the Battenkill in New York, America's "Queen of the Classics". This past weekend was the pro race, 2 laps of the 100km circuit. Local boy Aaron Fillion finished 25th, 3'46" behind the race winner, and 1'22" behind second place finisher Floyd Landis!

On to some mountain bike action at the Sea Otter Classic. In the men's pro race, Geoff Kabush battled with Specialized riders to finish second in a sprint finish (check out his doooope bike). And in the women's pro race, Catherine Pendral came in 3rd, while Emily Batty finished a very respectable 6th (I think she's still technically U23, which makes her result all that more impressive).

My next post or two will cover my own racing exploits as I get ready for Ottawa's own classic, the Almonte Paris-Roubaix.

No comments:

Post a Comment