Friday, December 11, 2009

I HATE taking the bus!

Wednesday, we had our first big (snow) dump of the year. (I added snow in brackets just to clarify that I wasn't talking about my daughter's diapers.) It would have been way too dicey to try and ride in on Wednesday...actually, the ride in to work would have been ok, it's the ride home that would have put me at the mercy of the driving skills of people unprepared for the first snowfall of the year. Taking the bus Wednesday morning was fine, and I got a ride home after work. Thursday though...

I wasn't sure what the roads would be like Thursday morning, but the real nail in the coffin was a killer headwind, so I decided to bus it. Well, I left my house at 6:30, anticipating that it would take me an hour to get to work. According to the OC transpo route planner (the biggest waste of programming EVER! DO NOT click on the link!), I would get to work on time, before 7:30. So I left the house, planted myself at the bus stop, and waited. And waited. First bus, 5 minutes late. No problem. I wouldn't have to wait too long when I transferred to my second bus. Well, I got off to transfer, and waited, and waited, and waited. My bus FINALLY came, but it was one of those damn buses that didn't do the whole route. Sh*t! I got on it anyways, figuring I could transfer to another bus later. Well, I figured wrong 'cause when I got off to transfer again, I waited, and waited, and waited, and my bus didn't come. I ended up hopping on another route, but of course it was a route that wound its way through random residential streets. By the time I finally made to work, it was 8:00. An hour and a half after I left my house and half an hour late for work. GREAT!
The ride home wasn't any better. Two buses to get me home, but with a 25 minute wait to transfer buses, it took me ANOTHER hour and a half to get home. F*@K!!!!!!!!! 3 hours of commuting using the bus! Had I biked, it would have taken me HALF that time. ARGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!

At least today the roads were clear enough to bike in. On top of that, I had a 20km/hr tailwind pushing me the whole way to work. The only downside was that the wind hadn't let up when I left work, and had a killer workout on the way home. Nothing like a wicked cold headwind and blowing snow to bring on the weekend! Time for a beer and some heavy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment