Monday, December 28, 2009

Holiday cheer = Beer!

Or maybe it's beer = holiday cheer. Either way, today is day 5 of 5 of lazing around, doing the holiday thing, not working, eating, playing with Lil' D, doing some bike related stuff (cleaning the winter commuter and hopping on the trainer), and last, but certainly NOT least, drinking beer. At this time of year, there are lots of seasonal beers around, as well as gift packs at the LCBO, consisting of beers that aren't stocked year 'round, so if you're lucky, you might score a rare beer or two. One such find was the Wychwood Bah Humbug Beer. An English ale with a hint of cinnamon. I'd have to say I was slightly disappointed with this one, mainly because I could barely pick up on the cinnamon. Now, as a stand alone ale, it was quite nice, and most Wychwood beers that I've tried are pretty good, but because I was searching for cinnamon and couldn't find it, I was slightly disappointed.




Another beer that I found, available in limited quantities, was the Innis and Gunn triple matured oak aged beer. Because of the reputation of Innis and Gunn, I was expecting a knockout beer. Well, I guess I had my hopes set too high. Don't get me wrong, this is a good beer, but compared with the original, I didn't see much of a difference. If anything, it was not as sweet and less fruity than the original, but more malty... like a good dark ale. Was it worth the extra $$$ over the original Innis and Gunn...not really. Was it a good beer? Yes. In the meantime, I'm keeping an eye out for the Innis and Gunn Rum cask aged beer.






Tomorrow it's back to the grind for two and a half days of work, and then 3 and a half days off. Commute #201 tomorrow, and more beer drinking to come, including some Samuel Smith's and St. Peter's.

No comments:

Post a Comment